Thursday, October 31, 2013

SPANISH WATCHTOWERS #9 Salomague watchtower's sad fate (Ilocos Sur)


"They had done their part and this one had gone away. How ironic, soon it will be forgotten"
-pagnapagna


I have second thoughts of sharing this one with you because it still needs verification. It may not be a watchtower.
My travel today to see the other old Spanish-era watchtowers in the northern part of Ilocos Sur deemed as ironic.



-my pagnapagna-

My first stop (Sinait, Ilocos Sur)
I went there early in the morning of October 31, 2013 and rode a tricycle going to the seacoast to look for a watchtower but ended up looking at a much modern light tower or a "parola". We asked the locals but they knew nothing about an existence of such a watchtower. They all end up pointing to the modern light tower used as a beacon for seafarers. 
Since I am at the seacost already, I might as well see the "Kapila Santo Kristo Lugo". It is in this seacost of barangay Dadalaquiten Norte where the Miraculous Statue of the Black Nazarene landed in 1620.


the Chapel constructed along the seacost known as "Kapila Santo Kristo Lugo"


I went back downtown to their Municipal Hall and asked the location of an old Spanish-era watchtower but still they knew nothing of it.

My second stop (Cabugao, Ilocos Sur)
I left Sinait to look for another watchtower at Cabugao, Ilocos Sur particularly at barangay Salomague. The search for the watchtower was a needle in a haystack. They pointed us to a ruins of an old house (with stone walls) turned into a residence. Talking to the owner, he referred us to another location. 
We went to where he said and there we saw what was left of what is said to be the Spanish-era watchtower.

Since it is located on a private lot, the "watchtower" suffered its unfortunate fate (if it was a watchtower). 

 Here is a remnant (still, to be verified) of what is said to be the Salomague Watchtower (Cabugao, Ilocos Sur)

Can you see the base of what is said to be of the old
 Spanish-era watchtower?

part of what is said to be of the old Spanish-era watchtower is seen here beneath the flooring
 of a residential bungalow

On top of the base of what is said to be ruins of the watchtower now lies a concrete floor of a residential bungalow. A tip of the circular base still can be seen protruding from the side of the floor and at the back of the house excavation is still on-going. I talked to a person who seems to be a resident of the said bungalow, he told me that the rubble was taken away. I think the remnants of the walls are of a quality antique materials that can be used as finishings on "classy-richy" mansions. I did not stayed there long or dug much into details as not to create commotions or suspicions. They might think of me as a treasure hunter which i am not. I left the place with a feeling of disappointment and pity on the tragic fate of the watchtower. (This still needs verification if it was the Old watchtower).

Third stop (Sto. Domingo, Ilocos Sur)
At my next stop, I went to the Municipal Hall of Sto. Domingo, Ilocos Sur and inquired if they knew about a watchtower at Barangay Casili. Although it turned out negative. One of the employees told me that there is one in Caoayan, Ilocos Sur.

Fourth Stop (Caoayan, Ilocos Sur)
At barangay Fuerte, Caoayan, Ilocos Sur. Even talking to the barangay Captain, it turned out negative. What is present in there is a modern light tower or a beacon for seafarers.

I still believe that there is or were old Spanish-era watchtowers in those places particularly in Sto. Domingo and Sinait that if and only if we look thoroughly, even if it is in a rubble state or just hidden and forgotten, we will surely find it.

-end of pagnapagna-



© All original content copyright sparkPLUG, 2012-2013. Please ask permission for content use.

No comments:

Post a Comment