Friday, January 31, 2020

SADANGA Day 01: FOCONG Rice Terraces and a sad news




_________________________________________________________________________________

"Expect the unexpected"
-pagnapagna
_________________________________________________________________________________




Please, let us practice the "LEAVE NO TRACE" (LNT) outdoor ethics.
Manage our waste products properly. Do not leave your garbage behind, bring it with you
when there is no proper disposal in the area. Do not litter!
Respect the local culture.
Minimize our impact!
Safety should be our priority!



-my pagnapagna-
(January 26, 2020 a Monday)
Continued from previous post
Travel to Bontoc fet. Kadchog Rice Terraces

After arriving at Bontoc through a bus ride from Baguio City and a visit to Kadchog rice terraces, I rode a tricycle going to the terminal area for jeeps bound for the nearby town of Sadanga.
It is located at the corner of the road beside the MPSPC (Mountain Province State Polytechnic College) which is the last intersection along the main road (Bontoc-Tabuk road).
I noticed that there were few Caucasian tourists around at a van terminal nearby. I found out later that the vans were bound for KALINGA. They probably be visiting "Whang-od Oggay" the tattoo artist from Buscalan, Tinglayan, Kalinga.
I went inside the almost full jeep and sat down with a heavy backpack on my lap. Few minutes later, the full-packed jeep departed Bontoc. It went along that Bontoc-Tabuk road and somewhere along the way, it turned left to an intersection where there's a welcome arch of Sadanga.
The road went uphill and into another intersection it turned right (MSWD building nearby) going downhill. We finally arrived at downtown Sadanga at a covered court where there were municipal offices around. I paid the 45 Php fare and went in one of the office buildings.
At the second floor (Mayor's office) I talked to ma'am Sharon Agsahong and told her of my intention to visit their tourist spots. She let me sign in their logbook and she arranged my itinerary.
After putting some of my heavy stuff at a "Homestay" where I'll be spending the night, since it was late in the afternoon, instead of going to the waterfalls, I opted to visit a nearby rice terraces.
Funny, I thought it was just nearby but it took me quite some time walking on an uphill road to get to the rice terraces. No regrets, the experience and views were not bad.

A school on top of a Hill

FOCONG RICE TERRACES
Located at barangay Sacasacan in the municipality of Sadanga, this rice terraces can be easily reached by foot or car through a cemented road going uphill to the Barangay Hall which also served as the viewing point. Few meters down and you will be on the rice terraces itself.




I went down to the rice terraces, lingered there for a while and walked along the main pathway were the irrigation canal was built. I also got a chance to talk to some of the farmers that I met along the rice terraces. I noticed that they were still preparing the terraces/rice paddies for planting and still some parts were left untouched since the last harvest. They told me to come back March onward as the terraces will be greener (planted with rice) and the terraces' walls will also be cleaner (overgrowth of grasses and shrubs removed).





The sun was way down the mountain ranges as I left the area and arrived at the "homestay" at around six o'clock in the evening.
Few minutes later, I talked with one of the nephews of the owner of the "homestay" to discuss about having a "guide" for tomorrow's hike to the waterfalls. As he called the owner, I overheard her say that the following day is "Te'er".
The one I'm afraid of was happening. He confirmed that the following day is "TE'ER".
My little know-what about "TE'ER" is that NO VISITORS ARE ALLOWED to enter Sadanga. This is their traditional day of having a rest and that violators are dealt with accordingly.
At that instance, there were lots of things going inside my mind. Like, what will I do? Should I stay inside the "Homestay" all day long doing nothing or should I go home and postpone everything?

-to be continued-



pagnapagna Travel Timeline
12:57 pm    Jeep ride from Bontoc 
2:24 pm   arrived at Sadanga townproper (Poblacion)
3:00 pm (+-)    walk going to Sacasacan for Focong Rice Terraces
6:00 back at Homestay (Poblacion area) 



Where I stayed in Sadanga:
LOVELY MAYE HOMESTAY
09057346521
09097584714







____________________________________________________________________________


Subject: Focong Rice Terraces
Location: 
Barangay Sacasacan,
Municipality of  Sadanga,
Province of Mountain Province


How to get there:
From Baguio City:
You may ride on these buses:
1- D'Rising Sun Transit
2- GL Trans

_____________________________________________________________________________



Copyright 2020 (c)

All Rights Reserved












No comments:

Post a Comment