Tuesday, October 1, 2019

BALAOAN WELCOME ARCH & DALISUNGSUNG FALLS



_________________________________________________________________________________

"The welcome arch was set for demolition, 
so I had to take a look at it for the last time 
and while at the area, visited the waterfalls of the municipality"
-pagnapagna
_________________________________________________________________________________


Please, let us practice the "LEAVE NO TRACE" (LNT) outdoor ethics.
Let us not vandalize, etch or write on its natural surfaces such as rocks and bark of trees.
Manage our waste products properly. Do not leave your garbage behind, bring it with you
when there is no proper disposal in the area. Do not litter!
Respect wildlife, "nature" and the local culture.
Minimize our impact!
Safety should be our priority!






-my pagnapagna-
September 26, 2019 a Thursday

It was around 7 o'clock in the morning when I rode a north bound bus, then alighted just few hundred meters before the town proper of Balaoan particularly at the welcome arch.
I was at the welcome arch that day to be able to see it close up before its scheduled demolition that coming Saturday (September 28). It was to be demolished because of the widening of the highway.
They, the contractor, have concreted the additional northbound second lane but left that portion where the welcome arch stands. It can be seen clearly that the arch encroaches to less than a meter (more or less 50 centimeters) to that outer second lane. The welcome arch's base also occupied much of the supposedly pedestrian lane even when it had a smaller arch (opening) where one can passes through. 
I looked for a strategic shady spot to sit on, then took out my drawing materials out from my big backpack to do a sketch.



After doing a sketch, taking some videos/photographs and the workers of the highway were arriving, I rode a tricycle (northbound), then alighted at the bus stop near the church at downtown Balaoan and from there rode a southbound minibus going back on that direction that passes by the welcome arch. I alighted at the Bungol National High School.  
I had to cross the highway and walked at a barangay road and asked directions for the "Dalisungsung Falls" but the first man I talked to doesn't know about it so I have to walk further down the road.  A man was laying rice grains on the ground just fronting the Barangay Hall to whom I asked  about the said waterfalls.
"Surutem lang datoy dalan ngem hanka mapan idiay bridge nga sumina, basta diretsoem lang datoy dalan inggana idiay balbalay nga adda metlang kastoy nga pagbilbilagan da tapos dumalan kanto ediay taltalen (Follow this road but don't go crossing the bridge, just straight along this road until the residential area where there is another drying area like this and then cross the rice field)", he said.
I thanked him and continued walking. 
Few minutes later, along the way, passed by that branching road with a bridge and continued walking.
I finally arrived to another residential area and yes there was this basketball court where they were sun drying newly harvested rice grains. I had to ask directions again, this time to a lady washing clothes and to another one seated on their front porch.
As to their given directions, I continued walking to a slightly uphill dirt road that led to an acacia tree, went down to the rice field and crossed it following a foot trail. Carefully navigating the trails led down to a creek where there was a small cascade with a small basin or natural pool area. I removed my rubber shoes and put on my slippers/flip flops and went upstream and eventually reached my destination.


Dalisungsung Falls
It is a small waterfall located along a creek that will eventually merge with the "Marigayap river".
It consisted of two cascades with the lower one being shorter while the second cascade is with a higher drop thus considered as the main. The upper level has also a deeper and wider basin or natural pool area.


While taking photographs and videos at the lower cascade, two young boys arrived and they were holding a small bowl of vinegar with chili. They passed me by and went ahead to the upper level.
Few minutes later, I also went up to the main cascade. I talked to them and they told me that they don't have classes that day since it was their "unit meet" (must be a sports fest) and they went on to swim.
I heard voices downstream and as they got nearer to where we were, they revealed themselves as their other companions and they came with guavas which explains the bowl of vinegar. 
Few minutes later I left them behind as they swam, dive & ate guavas.
I went downstream, crossed the rice fields, into the residential area and walked along the road all the way to the national highway where I finally got a ride going back to Home Sweet Home.

-end of pagnapagna-


P.S.
The Balaoan Welcome Arch's demolition was TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED (September 27, Friday)
 a day before its scheduled date of September 28. 








____________________________________________________________________________


Subject: Dalisungsung Falls
Location: Barangay Bungol,
Municipality of  Balaoan
Province of La Union


How to get there:

_____________________________________________________________________________



Copyright 2019 (c)

All Rights Reserved




No comments:

Post a Comment